Computer based testing windows for HRCIís PHR ® and SPHR ® certification is December 1 through January 31 and May 1 through June 30 of each year. Registration for the December testing window is usually available in August/September and wraps up the beginning of October. Registration for the May-June testing window usually becomes available in January and wraps up the beginning of March. Registration for the testing windows for certification exams can be made through Thompson/Prometricís website at http://securereg3.prometric.com/Welcome.aspx.
To assist you in preparing for your PHR ® or SPHR ® certification HRP of Central PA will be holding a Certification Study Group beginning each January through May, in time to take the first computer based exam in May/June. There is NO COST to take this course as long as you are a current member of HRPCPA, although there will be a cost for course materials. There will be an initial orientation meeting in January and then classes will start the following week. Exact dates will be provided at a later date after you have registered.
The classes will be held at a location to be determined, on a week night evening, (specific day and room to be announced later) and each session will be held from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Sessions will run into May. Details will be communicated to all participants starting in December.
The curriculum will encompass The Human Resource Certification Preparation Program from HRCP.com. This program will require new materials each year. You will need to purchase these materials to take the course. This will be the only set of materials utilized for the Study Group. The Human Resource Certification Preparation Program provides a comprehensive and affordable alternative for studying for the PHR ® and SPHR ® exams. The HRCP Program features six units, one covering each functional area of the exam.
Each unit (noted below) is bound separately and includes an index and a list of key terms. Along with more than 600 pages of instruction, the program provides review questions for each unit (300 questions total), and a comprehensive, 100 question practice exam.
1. Strategic Management - Role of HR in Organizations; Budgeting, Controlling, and Measurement; HR Research; The Role of HR in International Business; Organizational Leadership and Management; Ethics; Organizational Strategy; Organizational Environments; Organizational Design and Development; Employee Involvement Strategies
2. Workforce Planning and Employment - Employment Discrimination; Human Resources Planning; Job Analysis, Job Description and Job Selection; Recruitment; Selection; Organizational Exit; International HR Management
3. Human Resources Development - Training and Development in the Organization; Principles of Training and Development; Training and Development Techniques; Presenting the Training; Evaluation of Training Effectiveness; Training Programs; Performance Management; Change Management; Organizational Development (OD) Interventions
4. Compensation and Benefits - Compensation Philosophy and Strategy; The Wage-level Decision; Job Evaluation Methods; Job Pricing and Pay rate Administration; Economic Factors Affecting Compensation; Incentive Compensation Systems; Tax and Accounting Treatment of Compensation and Benefit Programs; International HR Compensation Issues; Evaluating Total Compensation Strategy & Program Effectiveness; Employee Benefit Programs; Managing Employee Benefit Programs; Compensation Laws and Regulations
5. Employee Labor Relations -Early Labor Movement; Union Representation of Employees; Employer Unfair Labor Practices; Union Unfair Labor Practices, Strikes, and Boycotts; Collective Bargaining; Maintaining Nonunion Status; Grievance Systems; Employee Discipline Systems; Individual Employment Rights; Workforce Behavior Problems; Public Sector Labor Relations; Employee Attitudes and Satisfaction; International Labor Relations
6. Occupational Health, Safety and Security - Laws and Regulations Relating to Occupational Health, Safety and Security; Health; Safety; Security
The program also includes the HR QuikStudy Flash Cards. Those preparing for the exams can quiz themselves and review key human resource terms and concepts with more than 500 convenient, business card-sized flash cards.
HRP of Central PA has negotiated a special price for its members of approximately $295 ($50 off the regular price) for the Complete HRCP Program. Instructions on ordering materials for the course will be communicated in December to all registered participants from Carrie Traeger (email@example.com) . The instructions will include the Group ID number which is needed in order to receive the discounted rate. The materials are not available from HRCP until early December due to their printing schedule. Once you receive the Group ID Number, you can go to http://www.hrcp.com/products, indicate that you wish to purchase the Complete Program, and enter the Group ID Number where it asks for the Group ID Number. The discounted price will be reflected in your total. In order to have the materials in time for the orientation meeting, you will need to order your materials by January 15 of each year to have them arrive at your door prior to the start of the Study Group in January.
For the 2013 Study Group, participant and facilitator registration will be conducted on-line via the HRP website. Please click here to be directed to the registration page.
You may contact our Professional Development Chair if you have any questions regarding registration, course or course materials and any general certification questions.